Senior Football Round Recap

By Jason Barbin


Dingley young gun Remmi Faulkner-Wood has helped steer his back on top of the division one ladder following a 30-point win against Mordialloc at Ben Kavanagh Reserve.

Faulkner-Wood and Lucas Walmsley combined for six goals as the Dingoes booted five goals to two in the second half to run out winners.

East Malvern has knocked Cheltenham off the top of the ladder and moved into second spot with a thrilling two-point victory at Dunlop Reserve.

The Panthers led at every change, but held on in the end, with the Rosellas booting three of the last four goals of the game to nearly snatch the four points.

Mark Tyrell was the star for the victors, kicking two goals in a best afield effort.

Reigning premiers St Pauls has found some winning form heading into finals, defeating Oakleigh Districts by 35 points at McKinnon Reserve.

The Dogs weren’t at their absolute best, but were able to continually build their lead during each quarter, with Stephen Muller and Matt Kreymborg combining for eight majors while young gun James Sziller starred.

Port Melbourne Colts is one step closer to a maiden division one finals berth following a convincing 41-point win against Highett at Murphy Reserve.

The Colts were inaccurate in front of goal, but burst out of the blocks with a nine-goal first half, with Tom Nicholls and Lachie Harris combining for seven majors while Brad Sutcliffe was best on ground.

Bentleigh has kept its slim finals hopes alive with a five-point win in a thriller against St Kilda City at the Peanut Farm, effectively ending the finals hopes of the Saints.

The two sides could barely be separated throughout the match in what was a true arm wrestle, but the Demons booted three of the last five goals of the game to come away with the all important four points.

Corbin Sutherland booted four goals for the visitors in the win, while Mitch Smart was impressive.



A six-goal opening half from Hampton was enough to get the job done against Skye at Carrum Downs Recreation Reserve, with the Hammers running out 42-point winners.

The visitors rushed out of the blocks early and put the result to bed during the first half, with Charlie Patterson and Mark Devereaux having a big impact on the game.

Keysborough maintained its grip on second spot heading into the final round with a 28-point triumph against Caulfield at Koornang Park Reserve.

The Burra had a 26-point half time lead cut to 12 during the third term, but were able to run away with the game during the final quarter, booting four goals to one, with Anthony Brannan and James Anwyl finishing as their best.

Murrumbeena gave its hopes of finishing in the top three every favour, defeating East Brighton by 29 points at Murrumbeena Park.

The Beena had their work cut out for them during the first half, leading by 14 points, but were able to slowly pull away from the Vampires in the second half, with Harley Ambrose and Dylan Mitchell best afield.

Doveton Eagles were simply too good for Heatherton at Ross Street Reserve in round 17, coming away with a 56-point result.

The Eagles piled on six goals in the opening half to secure the four points, as Nick Battle starred for the victors with four goals, while restricting the Tonners to one goal in each half of the game.

Springvale Districts flexed its muscles in a big way during its clash with Chelsea Heights at Springvale Reserve, winning by 97 points.

The Districts booted seven goals in the second term to put the result to rest, booting a further seven goals in the second half, with Brody Ledder impressive while Matt Wetering booted five.


Clayton has escaped with a one-point win in a thrilling finish against Ashwood at Essex Heights Reserve, while also moving back into second spot on the ladder.

The Clays looked comfortable when ahead by 27 points at the final change, before the Magpies kicked four unanswered goals, three through Brad Hemphill, to draw to within a point.

Each side exchanged one more behind before the final siren went to give Clayton the win, with Nick Parisi named best on.

Cerberus has pulled off a huge upset which will most certainly have potential finals implications, defeating Black Rock by nine points at McAuliffe Oval.

The Three-Headed Dog had lost 16 straight prior to the game, but drew ahead in the second term to lead by 10 points at the half time break.

From there the hosts stayed calm and held their nerve to draw ahead by 15 points early in the last, before holding on for the win, with Logan Martin and Jack Woolmer starring.

Hampton Park continues to put the icing on the cake that is its minor premiership, knocking Endeavour Hills out of the top two with a 30-point win at Robert Booth Reserve.

The Redbacks drew ahead with a six-goal opening half to lead by 27 points at the main break, and held firm the remainder of the game to deny the Falcons a come from behind win.

Cameron Williamson was strong up forward with four goals, while Shaun Walsh and Mitch Woolgar were also impressive.


Hallam is one step closer to securing its spot inside the top four after a resounding 91-point win against Dandenong at Greaves Reserve.

The Hawks trailed at the first break after being held goalless, before booting 15 goals to one in the final three terms to run out comfortable winners, with Rory McIvor one of five multiple goalkickers with three majors in a best afield effort.

Moorabbin has kept its finals hopes alive with a draw against Frankston Dolphins at Widdop Crescent Reserve.

The Roos trailed by 10 points at the final change, but booted two goals to two behinds in the final term to level the score at the final siren, with Alexei Roberts best on ground.

The win means the Roos now trail the Hawks by just two points with one game remaining.

South Yarra locked in second spot on the ladder with a comfortable 70-point win against Carrum Patterson Lakes at Leigh Park.

Shaun Falla was the star of the day, booting six goals in a best on ground performance, with the Lions booting eight goals in the first half to put the result to bed.

Lyndhurst wrapped up the minor premiership with an 86-point pounding of Lyndale at Marriott Waters Reserve in round 17.

The Lightning were simply too good across the day, booting eight goals in the first half while keeping the Pumas goalless the entire game.

League Partners