Round 6 Review: Division 3

A strong four quarter performance from Narre South handed them their fourth win of the season, the Saints too good for South Mornington to run away with a 102 point win, 19.12-126 to 3.6-24. The visitors were on fire in the first half, notching up 15 scoring shots to just one paltry behind to have the game done and dusted after two quarters. The Tigers showed some ticker in the third to hit the scoreboard but couldn’t stop the damage down the other end, the floodgates spilling open as the Saints slammed through 12 second half majors. Steven Sigeti certainly made the most of his first opportunity at senior level this season, the Saint kicking an eye-popping 11 majors to claim best on ground honours. Fair to say he won’t be playing reserves next week!

Over at Leigh Park it was the home side who came out on top as South Yarra held off a gallant Doveton, 18.9-117 to 6.11-47. The final score doesn’t paint the picture of just how hard fought this contest was, with the Eagles making the Lions sweat on numerous occasions throughout the afternoon. The visitors produced one of their best quarters in the opening twenty minutes, kicking three goals to enter the first huddle right in the contest. The Yarras woke up in the second with four goals to nil before another strong effort in the third saw them take control with a 39 point lead at the final change. The Lions were able to enjoy themselves in the last, with six goals to one ensuring they would run away with their second win of the season. Tony Castrignano was exceptional for the home side and finished with five goals next to his name to be the best player on the ground. 

It was billed as the potential match of the round and the clash between Clayton and Black Rock certainly lived up to the hype. The Jets, cruising with five wins on the board were eager to make another statement away from home and started brightly to take a seven point buffer at quarter time. The Clays had no trouble generating scores but were extremely wasteful in front of goal. Jason Smith would’ve been tearing his hair out at half time with his side leading by just 11 points despite having 17 scoring shots to six. The Clays were able to straighten up a tad with three goals in the third but should’ve had the game all but stitched up by this point. Instead, they held just a 15 point cushion with the door half ajar for the Rockers. It was almost costly, as a tense final term saw the Jets surge late to get within three points before ultimately running out of time. The Clays holding on for a heart stopping three point victory, 8.20-68 to 9.11-65. Nicholas Parisi and Luke Coad were crucial in the win for the home side as were Brody Smith and George Yelayotis who both chipped in with two goals each. The loss means Black Rock’s unbeaten start is over and they’ll be hungry to ensure it was just one bad day at the office.

The final match of the round saw Ashwood notch up an impressive 32 point victory against Endeavour Hills at Barry Simon Reserve, 10.11-71 to 5.9-39. A brilliant second term set up the victory for the visitors, with five goals to zip resulting in an imposing 28 point lead for the Magpies. The Pies stretched that to 38 points at the final change before the Falcons mounted a late challenge with four final quarter goals. It was far too little too late however with the home sides winning streak of four games coming to a close. Jack Purcell’s season tally ballooned out to 45 goals with another half a dozen for the Pies as George Lithotomos produced a best afield display.

League Partners