Round 6 Review: Division 2

By Lincoln Edmunds

East Brighton overcame a slow start against Skye to claim their fifth win of the season, 14.9-93 to 5.6-36. The Bombers were up and about early with three first quarter goals before the Vampires struck back with a powerful five goal second stanza. The home side never looked back from there, conceding just one more goal after half time whilst rattling on another eight themselves. The final margin of 57 points a fair indication of where both teams sit right now. Clint Johnston continued his goal kicking form with another haul of four here, while Blair Atkins and Will Hetherington had no problems finding the footy for the Vampires. 

Caulfield extended their winning streak to four in a row, this time against a hapless Hampton who were given a football lesson in a lopsided contest. It was a torrid start for the visitors, with the injury struck and developing Hammers torn to pieces in the opening stanza to trail by nine goals at the first huddle. The Bears were in no charitable mood post quarter time either and racked up six more goals before half time to take a massive 82 point lead at the long break. That margin ballooned out to 113 at the final break before the Hammers hit back to reduce any further damage. The final score 22.15-147 to 4.6-30 a massive percentage booster for the Bears as they continue their rise up the ladder. Chris Smith was classy with six goals and Thomas Heagney had the ball on a string. Bailey Griffin finished with two majors for the losers. 

Someone stop us. That’s the theme coming out of Springvale after the Districts made it seven wins in a row following a powerful second half against Hampton Park. The Demons were challenged at numerous stages before they responded in predictable fashion, in the end running out comfortable 45 point winners, 12.12-84 to 5.9-39. The Redbacks were up for the fight after slipping behind early, trailing by just six points at the long break despite producing more scoring shots. But the visitors took it up a level in the second half with six goals to one shutting the door on the game. Matt Wetering’s strong form in front of goal continued, the Springy spearhead adding another six goals to make it 18 majors in the past three weeks. Ben Stacey was also excellent all game and Cory Hutchinson made it two solid performances in a row. Taylor Rainey was once again in fine form the home side but it wasn’t enough to get his team over the line. 

Keysborough responded to their poor loss from last week, the Burras pipping Chelsea Heights by one straight kick in an exhilarating finish at Rowely Allan Reserve. The home side started strongly before the Demons fought back to lock the scores up at half time. The momentum swung in the third once again as Keysborough added three goals to take a handy 14 point lead with twenty minutes to play. But the Demons rallied one last time and mustered up four scoring shots to one to storm back into the contest. Unfortunately for all their hard work, the Heighters were only able to muster one goal and found themselves still six points in arrears as the final siren sounded. The final score 7.5-47 to 6.5-41. Tim Edwards was instrumental in the victory for the Burras with four goals as was Jono Huntington who stepped up in the big moments. 

The final match of the round saw Heatherton chalk up their second win of the season in a tough contest against Murrumbeena. The Tunners did all the attacking early but a return of 2.6 in the first term saw take just an 11 point buffer at the short break. Beena were able to close the gap to just four points before the game opened up in the third. The home side were efficient in front of goal with 4.0, while the visitors once again peppered the goals with 4.7 in the premiership quarter. With just 11 points the difference, the Tunners had still left the door ajar but made sure Beena wouldn’t sneak through with five final quarter goals enough to claim the four points. The final score 12.19-91 to 10.6-66.

League Partners