Round 3 Wrap-Ups


Round 3 was ANZAC round as teams across the league took the time to remember those who fought for our country.

For the first time, the Southern Football League scheduled a match on ANZAC Day. Clayton took on East Malvern at Meade Reserve and though both teams had a lot of chances to take over the game, it was Clayton who came away with the win. Clayton’s Chris Morrison and East Malvern’s Shane McCurry won the most courageous awards.

East Brighton took on Heatherton at Hurlingham Park as they looked for their first home win of the season. Without key forward Dean Francis, someone needed to step up to fill the void. That man was Matthew Skehan, who kicked 4 goals in a thoroughly one sided affair. Billymo Rist was the best for Heatherton.

Cheltenham took on Dingley in a highly anticipated battle at Jack Barker Oval. Last time these two teams met it was Cheltenham who won in a thriller but it would be the Dingoes who had their revenge. Andrew Frost and Lee Wonnacott were prolific ball winners around the ground with both kicking 2 goals each. The Bolger brothers were among the best for Cheltenham.

In the other battle of the undefeated, St Pauls took on Chelsea Heights at McKinnon Reserve. The Doggies were also missing their star forward Luke James but Nick Gilbert stepped in and nailed 5 big ones for St Pauls as they ran away with a convincing win over a disappointing Chelsea Heights side. Young small forward Kieran Knox had 4 for the doggies while Luke Manders continued his good form in front of the goals with 2 for the Heighters.

Highett took on St Kilda City in round 3 and with both teams looking for their first win of the year the contest would be hard fought. The Saints looked the goods all day and came away with a resounding win. Jon Stinear took the votes for St Kilda with a four goal haul and plenty of touches in the midfield. Yianni Pasialis was among the best for the Doggies.



Another week along and in blustery conditions, we are starting to see who are the “haves” and who are the “have nots!” There are still 15 Rounds to play and clearances close at the end of June, so nothing is for certain, but it’s not looking promising for some, whilst others look like finalists already (and I tipped 5 last week)!

Bentleigh had no trouble at home to Moorabbin.  A great defensive second quarter by Bentleigh kept Moorabbin to 1 goal 1 behind at half-time, then followed up with 7 goals 10 in the third quarter to “ice” the game at three quarter time.

South Yarra played host to Oakleigh District in what turned out to be a one sided match as well. Five goals up at quarter time, then kicking six goals to one in the second spelt doom for the Lions. At least South Yarra was able to conjure up five goals in the last to try and put some respectability into the scoreline. Unfortunately for them though, Oakleigh was able to kick a lazy seven!

At Koornang Park, Hampton handled the windy conditions a lot better than the Bears. The Bears managed 15 scoring shots to Hampton’s 16, but couldn’t buy a goal when it counted. A scrabbly game due to the wind blowing across the tight ground, straight kicking was the secret for the Hammers who found themselves up 3 spots on the ladder and sitting fifth, a game ahead of the rest.

Likewise, at Newcomen Reserve, there was one scoring shot the difference, yet Springvale winning by almost 8 goals! Springvale would have been concerned by their first quarter effort, but seemed to motor along from there to have just “another day at the office", whilst Murrumbeena must be concerned about their form at the moment.

Last game saw Skye make the trip to Mordialloc. This game was pretty tight for most of the day, Mordi able to break the shackles for a five goal to two third quarter being the difference in the end. Mordialloc remains undefeated but Skye put in a decent effort and although they lost their spot in the five, should be thereabouts at the business end of the season.



They say third time is a charm, and so it proved with my round three tipping – five from five for the first time this season.

Round three kicked off with Black Rock recording their first Division Three win with a 62-point belting of Endeavour Hills at McDonald Reserve. The Jets conceded just two goals in the opening half before booting five in the final term put the result beyond doubt. Thomas Dewar was best on for the victors with six majors.

Over at Power Reserve, an inaccurate Doveton accounted for Lyndale. Just 1 point separated the two teams at the final change before the Eagles slammed on four unanswered goals in the last quarter to run out 37-point winners. That margin should have been a lot greater, as they had twice as many scoring shots as the Pumas (34 to 17). Corrie and Nathan Wilson were the standouts for Doveton with nine majors between them.

In the local derby, Mount Waverley strengthened its premiership credentials with a hard-fought 19-point victory over Ashwood at Essex Heights Reserve. After being held goalless in the first term, Ashwood used the wind to advantage in the second, booting eight majors. But with Jarrod Wilkin leading the charge for the Mountain Lions, the visitors were able to wrestle control of the match in the second half.

Down at Roy Dore Reserve, Dandenong took the points over a gallant Carrum Patterson Lakes. In blustery conditions, the lead changed at every break, and neither side was able to gain a decisive advantage for most of the afternoon. But with the wind at their backs in the final stanza, the Redlegs held the Lions goalless as they came from behind to register a two-goal win. Chris Hatfield and Matt Van Schajik were Dandenong’s best.

The final game saw Sandown make light work of Hallam at Hallam Reserve. The Cobras led at every change and a landslide final term saw them pile on 12.10 to 0.1 to blow the margin out past the triple figure mark. Shane Adams was prolific in front of goal with eight majors, while John Frenken and Dwayne Doig were also very impressive for Sandown.



It has taken longer than I expected, but reigning premiers Bentleigh have registered their first win of 2013 with a 53-point victory over Dingley at Bentleigh Reserve. Andrew Griffiths and Steven Galileos were in scintillating touch and the Demons had built a comfortable advantage by the long break and were never troubled from there.

At McKinnon Reserve, St Pauls outclassed ladder leaders Chelsea Heights. The Dogs were switched on from the outset, booting six unanswered goals in an opening term blitz. With Leader Shooting Star nominee Joel Parrett again dominant around the stoppages, St Pauls were never headed in their impressive win.

Clayton offered a lot of resistance, but ultimately Murrumbeena proved too good at Meade Reserve. It was a very gallant performance from the undermanned Magpies, and there are some promising signs for them to build upon. But with Jackson Meredith leading the way, Beena were in control from the second term onwards.

Skye cruised to an easy win over the struggling Carrum Patterson Lakes at Roy Dore Reserve. The Lions put up a fight, but ultimately couldn’t match the very strong Bombers outfit with its impressive spread of 13 individual goalkickers.

League Partners