Round 12 Review: Division 1-4

Division 1 – Round 12 Review

It was another excellent weekend of Division 1 action in the SFNL with some heavyweight battles and shock results grabbing the headlines from Round 12.  

Mordialloc and Highett kicked off the weekend’s action at Ben Kavanagh Reserve, the Bloodhounds notching up their fourth win of the season in a six goal victory, 9.13-67 to 4.7-31. It was an even contest in the first half with just 13 points the difference at the main change with both sides struggling to adapt to the difficult conditions. The third term proved to be the difference, as the home side gained the ascendancy with three crucial goals in a low scoring scrap. Dylan Gregson was in everything for Mordialloc along with James Morris who played a vital role in the win. For the young Doggies Dylan Atkins continued his strong form as did Will Bodman who has had a superb season. 

Cheltenham claimed a brilliant come from behind victory over Bentleigh in a cracking game of football at Bentleigh Reserve. With their finals hopes on the line the Demons started brightly and were holding their own to trail by just one point at the long break. The home side looked to be turning the tide in their favour with a ripping third quarter that saw them dominate possession. Despite taking an 11 point buffer at the final huddle it could’ve been so much more had the Dees converted their chances in front of goal. In the end their inaccuracy cost them dearly as the Rosellas came steaming through like a runaway freight train with six final quarter goals flattening the Dees. The end score 13.6-84 to 9.12-66, ensuring the Rosellas maintain their grip on a top two spot. Jack Worrell was instrumental in the win with three goals and Alecsander McComb slotted in seamlessly with three majors. It’s a massive missed opportunity for Bentleigh but Joe Colaciello was immense with three goals and was an undeserving loser. 

Dingley strengthened their premiership claims with a 34 point win over East Malvern at Dunlop Reserve, the visitors roaring to life in the fourth quarter to stun the Panthers. Despite the come from behind victory it was the Dingoes who dominated the first quarter with seven scoring shots to zip, sending alarm bells off everywhere in the home side's coach's box. Fortunately for the Panthers the damage was limited to just 12 points and they were able to stem the flow in the second stanza with four goals capturing a seven point break at half time. A low scoring tussle ensured in the premiership quarter with the Panthers holding firm to extend their lead to 11 points with a grandstand finish on the cards. Few would have predicted what would happen next. Of course, Dingley were always going to mount a response but an eight goal to one avalanche was even more emphatic than expected. The final score 11.16-82 to 7.6-48 an impressive show of force from the ladder leaders. Lachy Lamble was impressive for the winners and Luke Simmonds capped off a good day with two majors. Lucas Hall was once again named in the best for the Panthers. 

The wheels on the Port Melbourne Colts wagon are starting to come loose as the home side went down to St Paul’s, 10.11-71 to 12.17-89, in a shock loss at Murphy Reserve. The Dogs loomed as a danger team before the first bounce and that proved to be the case early doors with four first quarter goals seeing the visitors take the early advantage. The Colts hit back to reclaim the lead before slipping behind once again to trail by 21 points at the final huddle. It proved to be too far to reel in as the visitors held firm to register their third win of the season and second in the past three weeks. Ryan Carroll was crafty up forward to finish with three goals and Steve Muller was involved in the goals again with two snags. 

May be an image of 1 person, playing a sport, standing and outdoors

(via St Pauls FNC Facebook)

St Kilda City capped off the round with a thumping 87 point win over Oakleigh District at Princes Highway Reserve, 17.15-117 to 4.6-30. The Saints set the game up with a seven goal second quarter blitz and continued their domination in the second half to salute with a big percentage booster. Aaron Edwards continued his excellent form from last week with another big of eight goals which should excite Saints fans ahead of finals. Other top performers for the Saints included Matt Wilson and Ben Kuang who both impressed throughout the day. 

Division 2 – Round 12 Review

East Brighton bolstered their premiership claims with a thumping 57 point triumph over Keysborough, 13.17-95 to 5.8-38, at Hurlingham Reserve. The Vampires sent a big statement to the rest of the competition with the big win locking them into second spot on the ladder. The home team controlled the game for the majority of the afternoon before exploding in the final stanza with seven goals putting the full stop on a complete performance. Clint Johnston continues to prove his worth as a reliable forward with another haul of three goals, with Will Hetherington and James McNamara also chipping in with two snags each. With ball in hand Blake Cochrane once again proved to be unstoppable as he added another best on ground performance to his 2021 CV. 

Over at the Toolbox Christmas came early for the Hammers as they finally broke through to notch up their first win of the season, downing Heatherton 19.13-127 to 13.11-89. The result was a long time coming for the young Hammers with the future on display in an exciting second quarter burst that set up the win. The Tunners reigned supreme last meeting and started brightly to take the early advantage before the Hammers came out swinging in the second stanza. In their best quarter of the season the home side played freewheeling attacking football to slam through nine goals to take all the momentum. The visitors threatened to get back into the game with the wind in the third but the Hammers held their nerve and booted another seven majors in the last to run away with a sweet victory. Bailey Griffin and Jesse Donald were dynamic up forward with four important goals each and Shakore Bragg-Taylor provided plenty of highlights with three snags. Ben Lewis also contributed with three goals to go with a best on ground effort. 

Hampton Park returned to the winners list with an impressive victory over Chelsea Heights at Robert Booth Reserve, the home side’s accurate goal kicking going a long way to pocketing the four points. It was a crucial game for both clubs with the Redbacks falling out of the top five and the Demons finals hopes similarly on the line. For three quarters it seemed impossible to tip a winner as both sides traded the lead in a genuine scrap. The Heighters had their noses out in front at the final huddle but the home side dug deep to finish with five goals to notch up a rousing 16 point victory, 11.3-69 to 7.11-53. Luke O’Brien proved to be the match winner for the home side with his three goals proving to be the difference on the day. Liam Myatt and Cam Williamson were also important with three sausage rolls each and Travis Davis found plenty of the Sherrin. 

The Springvale Districts show continues to roll on with the premiership favourites chalking up their 11th win in a row, this one coming against Skye by 54 points, 13.12-90 to 5.6-36. The home side started slowly as the Bombers claimed an eight point lead but slowly turned the tide in the second stanza. The Demons flexed their muscles in the third with five goals and capped off another solid display with four more goals in the last. Matt Wetering was too strong up front to finish with half a dozen goals but it was Billy Green and Cory Hutchinson who impressed the most for the victors. The loss sees Skye tumble out of the top five for now and they’ll need to regroup on the training track ahead of another crunch match against the Redbacks next week. 

The final match of the round followed a predictable script as Caulfield were too strong for Murrumbeena to register a 90 point belting at Murrumbeena Park, 17.13-115 to 3.7-25. The Bears set the tone early with seven opening quarter goals and continued to add to their lead for the rest of the afternoon. Chris Smith made it 18 goals post lockdown with another six snags and Jared Worsteling chimed in with his best return of three majors. Jacob Buggy and Cam Vincent did the damage with ball in hand. 

Division 3 – Round 12 Review

Endeavour Hills recorded their sixth win of the year in comprehensive style as the Falcons obliterated South Yarra by 112 points in an absolute drubbing at Barry Simon Reserve. The Falcons entered the clash as favourites but few would’ve expected a win as comprehensive as this, with the Lions totally embarrassed throughout the afternoon. The half time score of 61-7 was ugly and it got worse for the Yarras with the 14 goals to a paltry one at the final break. The visitors managed to squeeze through two goals in the last term but couldn't prevent the margin from ballooning into triple figures, the final score 19.17-131 to 3.1-19. Sam McLean starred for the Falcons with seven goals and Ben Holland chimed in with three snags. 

Black Rock registered their ninth win of the year in compelling fashion, the Jets too strong for South Mornington, 16.12-108 to 3.8-26. The Tigers started strongly before the Jets turned it on in second stanza with seven goals handing them a handy half time buffer. The home side battled bravely after the long break but were blown away in the last as the Jets came home with a rush. Byron Wright booted four goals for the winners and Alan Wallace racked up plenty of the pill. Kyle Benallack slotted two majors for the Tigers.

It’s fair to say Narre South Saints got the percentage booster they were after with a jaw dropping 210 point victory over a dispirited Doveton at Conway Cranes Power Reserve on the weekend. A nine goal first quarter had the writing on the wall early and the Saints went one better in the second with ten more goals seeing them lead by a whopping 123 points with two quarters to play. Things calmed down in the third before the Saints surged again in the final stanza with ten more goals cracking the 200 point buffer. The final score was a sorry tale for the home side, 0.2-2 to 31.26-212. Despite putting through 31 majors no Saint kicked more than five goals with Brandon Nolan, Nathan May and Danny Brewster all leading the way with five each. With the pill in hand, Tim Gavenlock and Connor Carlyon did as they pleased to be amongst the best for the winners. 

The final match of the round was a much tighter affair as Clayton got the chocolates over Ashwood at Meade Reserve, 8.8-56 to 4.10-34. The Magpies dominated with the wind early, trapping the ball inside their forward half to generate eight scoring shots to nil. Unfortunately for the Pies their inaccuracy saw them hit the first change with just two goals next to their name to let the Clays off the hook. The home side steadied after the coach’s address but still found themselves 10 points adrift at the long change. The third quarter proved to be real scrap with both goals going to Clayton to see the scores locked up on 33 each. Whatever magic Jason Smith worked at the three quarter time huddle did wonders for the Clays as they chalked up five goals to zip to run away with an impressive victory. Ash Plozza was superb in the come from behind win as was Jesse Henderson who battled hard all day. Up forward Paul Tsoucalas continues to contribute with three majors and Dylan Bone hit the scoreboard with two goals. 

Division 4 – Round 12 Preview

Lightning struck the Redlegs down at Marriott Waters Reserve as Lyndhurst belted Dandenong 16.13-109 to 1.5-11 in a one-sided contest. The home side did as they pleased, rattling through nine goals to one in the first three quarters before it was party time in the last quarter. Jason Twite, Jarrod Murphy and Kaine Bundy all found the big sticks with three goals each, while Trevor Jarvis enjoyed a fruitful afternoon with plenty of the footy.

Carrum Patterson Lakes kept their undefeated season alive but not without a fight in their 44 point victory over Frankston at Roy Dore Reserve. The Dolphins dominated the opening quarter with two goals to nil but should’ve been ahead by more if not for some wayward kicking. The Lions made them pay with a five goal turnaround in the second term and extended their lead to 23 points at the final change. Whilst it didn’t seem an impossible lead to reel in for the visitors, with the wind at their backs the home side were always going to finish stronger. It proved to be the case as the Lions slotted four more goals to register their 10th win of the season, 12.11-83 to 5.9-39. Alex Wilson finished with three goals and Andy McCormack was adjudged best on ground for the Lions. 

Moorabbin recorded their third win of the season in an entertaining encounter against Lyndale at Widdop Crescent Reserve. The game was evenly poised at half time before the Kangaroos broke the game open in the third with five goals handing them a 22 point buffer at the final break. The Pumas rallied one final time with three goals but ultimately left their run too late to fall by 11 points, 12.10-82 to 9.17-71. 

The final match of the round saw Hallam make a big statement against Cerberus for the second time this season, the Hawks dominating after quarter time to record their seventh win in a row. A scrappy opening term saw no goals kicked before the home side soared in the second with five goals giving them a 32 point break. The visitors stemmed the bleeding in the third but couldn’t make a dent in the margin as the Hawks rattled along to a convincing victory, 9.11-65 to 2.7-19. Jack Sharlassian continues to impress since entering the senior fold and added another four goals here in a dominant display.

League Partners