Men's Football: 27/28 August Finals Review

Division 1:

It's that time of the year again and it feels so good for the buzz of finals footy to be back in full

flight after a 2 year hiatus.

Cranbourne Eagles hosted St Paul’s McKinnon in a crucial qualifying clash in what was a

thrilling game with the Eagles coming away 10 point winners in a highly entertaining game of


The Eagles jumped away to a fast start in the first term kicking 3.8 to 2.2 in a dominant quarter

of footy where if they were more efficient in front of goals would have given themselves a

healthy margin at the first break. They then in the second term continued their dominance

kicking 5 goals to 3 to extend their lead to 26 points at half time capping off a dominant half of


The Eagles dominated play all day recording +79 disposals, +22 marks and being the more

attacking side all day. However the Doggies fought back in the third term producing a brilliant

quarter of footy which saw them kick 5 goals to 1 to get themselves within a goal at the final

change and set up a thrilling last quarter of footy.

The final term produced a real arm wrestle with both sides playing good footy with the intensity

levels high and both sides fighting for the win which saw neither side being able to get on top or

control play. The Eagles kicked 3 last quarter goals to the Doggie’s 2 which saw the Eagles

hang on in a cracking contest.

Marc Holt dominated again for the Eagles kicking 5 goals this time out with Zak Roscoe also

impressing with 37 disposals. The Eagles now face Cheltenham in a top of the table clash for a

spot in the Grand Final whilst for the Doggies they will now play a red hot St Kilda City outfit in a

do or die clash.

In a highly anticipated elimination final clash between Dingley and St Kilda City, the red hot

Saints continued their strong form with a thumping win by 59 points over the Dingoes.

The Saints have been the form team of the competition over the last couple of months and have

primed themselves as a genuine premiership contender heading into finals but still had to get

past a talented Dingoes outfit in a knockout clash.

The Saints stamped their authority on the contest early booting 4 first quarter goals to 2 and

then kicked 2 goals to nothing in the second term to complete a dominant first half were they

looked a class above the Dingoes.

They then continued on their way in the second half piling on 9 goals whilst also restricting the

dingoes to just a further 4 goals to run away with a comfortable victory. Aaron Edwards

produced another best on ground display with a 7 goal haul to lead his team to victory whilst

Dane Swan was also prolific with the ball from his 29 disposals.

The Dingoes season is now over however they will have a number of positives to take out of this

year whilst for the in-form Saints they will now take on St Paul’s McKinnon and will fancy their

chances of recording another victory.

Division 2:

In quite possibly the upset of the year Doveton Doves completed a frightening 93 point

thumping of top placed Chelsea Heights in their semi final clash.

Chelsea, who finished the home and away season a game clear on top to Doveton as favourites

but a close affair was expected to be played out but it was anything but that, with the Doves

being dominant for the most part of the day.

The contest got off to a tight start with both sides coming out firing with the two sides going goal

for goal in the opening term with the Doves going into the first break just 4 points up. It was then

in the second quarter where the Doves started to get on top kicking 3 goals to nothing to set up

a 4 goal lead at half time.

The Doves then went on to produce a simply breathtaking second half of footy which saw them

kick a whopping 13 goals whilst also restricting Chelsea to just two goals in an extremely one

sided half of football to leave everyone stunned, none more so than Chelsea.

The Doves had an impressive 11 individual goal scorers to reflect the fantastic team

performance produced, with Max Sheppard leading the way with 4 majors. The Doves now have

booked their place in the Grand Final whilst for Chelsea they now play Caulfield in a crucial

preliminary final for a spot in the Grand Final.

In the much anticipated elimination final clash between Keysborough and Caulfield Bears, it was

the Bears who came away 21 point victors in an impressive display from the visitors.

The Burras came into this clash slight favourites having the home ground and crowd advantaged

but the Bears always loomed as a dangerous prospect for this game and they certainly lived up

to those expectations.

The first half produced a tight game of footy with both sides getting plenty of opportunities to hit

the scoreboard but some stern defending from both sides restricted both teams scoring, with the

Bears holding a one goal lead at half time.

The Bears then kicked 2 goals to nothing in the ‘premiership quarter’ to give them a 18 point

halftime lead in which they were able to hold onto in the final term. James Backway starred for

the Bears with 4 goals with Chris Lewis being Caulfield’s best player all day. For the Burra’s,

Thomas Shaw was brilliant in defeat with 4 goals and being arguably best on ground to cap off a

stellar season for him.

Caulfield will now face Chelsea Heights for a place in the Grand Final and will go in with great

confidence after a brilliant win whilst for Keysborough it is season over.

Division 3:

Black Rock overcame Ashwood by just 9 points in a thrilling preliminary final at Jack Barker

Oval in front of a packed crowd to secure a Grand Final place next week.

This clash was always tipped to be a tight affair and it certainly lived up to the expectation with

one of the games of the season being played out. It was a fierce contest from start to finish with

both sides bringing great pressure and intensity leading to a high quality game of football.

Reflecting how even the contest was the scores at halftime were dead even at half time with

Black Rock 8.3 and Ashwood a little more wasteful in front of goals 7.9 blowing a few chances

to build a lead.

It was in the third term where the game was won by Black Rock with the men in red and black

booting 4 goals to 2 in a strong quarter to hand them a 9-point lead at the final change which felt

like a large lead in the extremely tight affair that it was.

The Magpies pushed Black Rock hard in the last term in an attempt to snatch victory but Black

Rock ultimately held on to thanks to some sound defending in the last term.

Byron Wright booted 4 goals with Ned Fallon also playing a pivotal role with 3 goals of his own

whilst Stuart Wines was named best afield following another impressive display. Michael

Altenkirch starred in defeat, bagging himself 5 goals on the day and clearly being Ashwood's

best performer on the day.

For the Magpies their season comes to an end, whilst for Black Rock they now turn them

attention to next week's blockbuster Grand Final against Murrumbeena next week with the two

best sides all year going head-to-head to claim silverware.

Division 4:

In an incredibly one sided and dominant display from Lyndhurst they smashed Hallam by 106

points in Saturday's preliminary final to book their place in next week's Grand Final versus


The Lightning did go into this clash as favourites but a result as big as this was not expected at

all with a real tight game being tipped by many, but it was anything but that. The Lightning

jumped out of the blocks well and piled on 5 first quarter goals to 0 to give them a handy lead at

the first break.

They then continued their dominance in the second term kicking another 3 goals themselves

whilst also keeping the Hawks goalless for a second consecutive quarter giving the Lightning a

49-point halftime lead.

The third term produced a much more even game of footy with the Hawks being able to lift their

intensity and restrict the lightning to the 3 goals whilst also managing their only goal of the day.

The Lightning then produced a stunning final quarter of footy which saw them kick 7 goals to

none and see them complete a thumping victory.

Lachlan McGenniss and Jarryd McGrath were both dominant up forward with the pair kicking 5

and 4 goals respectively. The Lightning now turn their attention to next week’s Grand Final

against the Frankston Dolphins.

League Partners