Weekend wrap-ups


with Good Will Hunter

Clayton claimed the silverware after a gritty 12-point win over East Malvern on ANZAC Day. Despite a solid start from the Panthers, the Clays fought back in the second term to take a slender lead into the sheds. But an outstanding performance from Matt Douglas helped Clayton get the four points after a hard-fought second half. Sam Wright stood out for East Malvern.

East Brighton defeated Chelsea Heights the following day in blustery conditions at Beazley Reserve. The Vampires defence was terrific in the third term, holding the Heighters to just one goal before coming home strongly with the wind in the last quarter to get home by 20 points. Barry Hope and Ben Douthie were instrumental for the winners, while Callum Dodson continued his good form for Chelsea Heights.

St Pauls claimed their first victory of the year, narrowly edging out St Kilda City at McKinnon Reserve. Although they led for most of the second half, the Doggies struggled to put the Saints away courtesy of some sloppy turnovers in the breeze. City, to their credit, fought hard to stay in the contest, with Tim Sullivan again their best. The usual suspects in Andrew Gilbert and Adam McIntyre led the way for the home side in their seven-point win.

Down at Bentleigh Reserve, Dingley accounted for the Demons with a comfortable 45-point victory. Bentleigh got the home crowd up and about with a four-goal-to one opening term, but the class of the Dingoes was evident as they booted the last six goals of the game. Four goals from Luke Bartholomew saw the Dingley onballer claim best afield honours, while Dale Hynes was again the standout for Bentleigh.

The final game was a blowout at Jack Barker Oval, with Cheltenham thrashing Heatherton by 77 points. The Rosellas were never really challenged, with key forwards Chris Graham and Pat Nicholls dominating in attack with 12 goals between them. Adam Sparrow fought hard for the Tunners.




with Jason Barbin

After a week off to celebrate Easter, Southern Footy was back and ANZAC round produced a few surprising results.

Mordialloc continued their impressive start to the season defeating Caulfield by a resounding 110 points. The Bears only trailed by 24 points at half time but a 15 goal second half by the Bloods spurred them on to victory. James Morris continued his good form in front of goal, cementing his favouritism to take out the leading goal kicker award with 8 majors. Todd Bastion was also impressive for the Bloods.

Hampton bounced back from a round 1 loss to defeat Highett by 10 points at the Tool Shed. The Hammers led at every change and looked every bit like a team on the rise as they held on for the victory despite being inaccurate in front of goal. Brendan Bennett and Sasha Danilovic led their respective teams with 3 goals apiece.

Doveton also bounced back following a round 1 loss, defeating Moorabbin by 54 points. New recruit Keith Dobson was outstanding all day for the Eagles and their midfield dominated the play, restricting the ability of the Moorabbin mids led by David Stynes. Peter Dye looked handy up forward for the Eagles, bagging 5 goals.

Skye continued their unbeaten run to start the season with a tight victory against Springvale Districts. A low scoring affair, this game was played mostly in the middle of the ground in poor conditions. In a battle of the midfields, it was the Bombers who finished on top, coming out 6 point victors. Skye recruit Aaron Harper was among the best players on the ground.

Murrumbeena continued to disprove their doubters (me being one of them) as they kicked another big score in their victory over Oakleigh at the Beena Arena. Trailing at half time, the Beena restricted Oakleigh to just 1 point in the premiership quarter while pouring on 6 goals themselves to secure the win. Dean Spanos was best on ground bagging 3 goals.




with Andrew Paloczi

It was great to get back into Division 3 action after the Easter break. At Essex Heights Reserve the game started under grey skies, but the rain held off as Ashwood and Dandenong produced an entertaining clash. With less than a goal in it at the last change a thrilling conclusion awaited, but the Magpies finished off too strongly for the Redlegs, getting home by 14 points. Ben Giblett was chaired off the ground, with a win to celebrate his 200th game. Paul Wineberg and Michael Langford booted a couple of goals each for the Magpies and their best player was Chris Hale.

A big third quarter saw Sandown take control against South Yarra at Edinburgh Reserve. The Lions were kept scoreless for the term, as the Cobras added five goals. The damage was done, and despite being outscored in the last quarter, the Cobras tasted a 37-point win, with Clint Sheedy kicking five majors, and Jake Chapman and Brad Hemphill their best.

Mount Waverley proved every bit as dangerous away from home, destroying Hallam by 120 points. Ten players booted goals for the Mountain Lions, and James Gough finished with 11, being named their best player, ahead of Ben Beecroft.

Lyndale travelled to Roy Dore Reserve and took it up to Carrum Patterson Lakes in the first half. At the long break the Pumas were three points up, but the Lions scored 14 goals to one for the rest of the game, to coast to a 72-point win. The winner’s best players were Chris Mouritz and Andrew Lucas, with Rhys Chadwick booting five goals.

Black Rock got the job done at McDonald Reserve, inflicting the first defeat this year on Endeavour Hills. After managing only one goal to seven in the first half, the Falcons showed character in the second half by kicking seven goals to four. The Jets finished 23 points ahead, with Steve Baranski leading the way and Kelly Spratt also impressing.




with Josh Schonafinger

A great game of football took place at Beazley Reserve in Round 2 action, as Chelsea Heights beat Highett by ten points. In a match that was virtually goal for goal the entire contest, it was the forwards that starred. The Dogs’ Adam Hume and the Heighters’ Harry Brennan both kicked four goals for their respective teams.

Two undefeated teams clashed when Dingley travelled to Bentleigh, and it was the Dingoes who dominated early, kicking out to a 27 point lead at quarter time. However, the Dees put a leash on the Dingoes and kicked eight consecutive goals, finishing 16 point victors at home, with Spencer Daly best on.

A determined Carrum Patterson Lakes recorded its first victory of the season by overcoming St Pauls by nine points. The Doggies lead at the first change, but an accurate forward line, lead by Connor Graham with three goals, was enough to see the Lions go home with the four points.

Clayton travelled to Hampton’s home turf and the match started slowly, with one goal apiece at quarter time. The Clays dominated from there though, with 12 goals to none in the final three quarters. The Hammers had no answer to Perry O’Hehir-Vargas, who kicked five goals and walked away with a best afield performance. The crushing 84 point win leaves the Clays sitting pretty atop the ladder.

It was a similar story when Skye visited Jack Barker Oval, to play Cheltenham, although both teams went into the encounter winless from Round 1. Through bags of goals to Ryan Mcconville and Tyson Ross however, Skye well and truly trounced the Rosellas and finished 81 point victors. 




with Josh Schonafinger

Both Doveton and Moorabbin had plenty on the line after winless starts to the season as they met at Power Reserve. The Roos lead for the entire game, and thanks to a stellar effort from Brenton Lambert, ran out 21 points winners.

Two undefeated sides met when Black Rock took on Endeavour Hills, with both aiming to keep it that way. The Falcons lead at every change and eventually won by 32 points.

The Sandown Cobra proved they had plenty of sting in their tail as they disposed of South Yarra by 62 points. Joshua Gonzalez and Bao Le were both instrumental in the victory.

A six goal bag from Cameron Kirkup lead Mount Waverley to a comfortable victory over Hallam. It didn’t start as planned, with the Hawks leading at the first change, but the 31 point end margin in favour of the Mountain Lions leaves them on top of the table.

Dingley travelled to Cerberus in a bid to keep their unbeaten run alive. While Cerberus led by 20 points at half-time, the Dingoes rallied but couldn’t overrun their opponents, falling by 12 points at the final siren. Jacob Macgregor kicked five goals in an impressive display for the victors.

Cheltenham came out of the blocks hard at home against Skye, and lead at quarter time. There was to be no upset however, with the Bombers dominating from thereon. Skye had seven individual goal kickers, with Bradley Dyer kicking five, in the highest score for the round. The final margin at Jack Barker Oval was 56 points.

League Partners